Are you inspired by “what’s next”? So are we.
When you join the Albemarle team, you contribute to a better tomorrow. You will play a role in powering many of the world’s largest and most critical industries, from energy and communications to transportation and electronics. We are putting innovation to work to improve people’s lives and we want YOU to be a part of it.
About Albemarle Lithium
Albemarle is an industry leader in lithium and lithium derivatives, one of the highest growth markets in the specialty chemicals industry. Our unique natural resource position, derivatization capabilities and technology leadership provide Albemarle with a sustainable competitive advantage.
We maintain a strong vertically integrated position in the industry, from raw material extraction to specialty product manufacturing. As stewards of the planet, we at Albemarle are committed to meeting the needs of our customers for high quality products in a sustainable, safe and environmentally responsible manner.
Global specialty chemical manufacturer seeks experienced counsel with broad-based generalist skillset to partner with regional leadership to provide prompt, practical legal advice and counsel with regard to the Company’s businesses and operations in the LATAM region with a particular focus on Chile, including with regard to general corporate, commercial (e.g., sales, agent/distributor, procurement, construction and other commercial contracts), human resources/labor, health, safety & environmental, communities, regulatory and litigation and dispute resolution matters.
- Provide timely and sound legal advice on a variety of complex matters, including general corporate, commercial, human resources/labor, health, safety & environmental, communities, regulatory and litigation and dispute resolution matters
- Provide advice that is strategic, thoughtful, risk-adjusted and clear on commercial and regulatory matters of significant complexity and impact to the business
- Communicate clearly and concisely, having the ability to translate complex matters into simple terms digestible by a wide range of audiences
- Actively support compliance matters to ensure training and legal compliance with respect to antitrust/competition laws, foreign corrupt practices act, local anti-bribery laws and other regulatory requirements
- Engage and coordinate matters as necessary with outside legal counsel and with other in-house counsel around the globe
- Sole in-house counsel for the region – strong work ethic and ability to operate autonomously within a matrix environment
- Support claims prevention and management, as well as claims initiatives, with respect to commercial transactions, including managing claims and pre-litigation dispute resolution matters as required
- Ability to communicate effectively across organizational levels and across cultures
Education and Qualifications
- JD degree (or foreign law degree equivalent)
- Strong academic credentials
- Some education (either degree or certificate from a qualified legal program) from a U.S. law school/graduate school preferred
- At least 7 – 10 years post-law school experience, ideally with a combination of major law firm and in-house experience with a multinational company or regulatory agency
- Prior experience practicing in Chile
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Highest standards of ethics and professional integrity
- Experience in one or more of the following subject matters strongly preferred: regulatory, mining, manufacturing, environmental, communities, energy and/or construction projects