Data Conversion Service
This job is posted by Data Conversion Service on behalf of European Southern Observatory (ESO).
Data Conversion Service S.A. (DSC). Consultora de Servicios TI, de profesionales Informáticos, ubicada en Ginebra Suiza hace mas de 20 años y desde el 2006 con sucursal en el Chile. Se encuentra en búsqueda de profesionales, que tengan interés en la administración de sistemas TI en un ambiente multicultural, envuelto de ciencia y sistemas de ingeniería altamente complejos.
Nuestro cliente, European Southern Observatory (ESO), es la organización astronómica internacional mas importante presente en Chile, operando los observatorios de Cerro Paranal, La Silla, APEX y prontamente Cerro Armazones.
En este desafío formaras parte de un contrato de servicios TI integral, provisto por DCS junto a un equipo multidisciplinario y multicultural.
Se trabaja en formato IT Service Desk con requerimientos controlados por un sistema de tickets bien definido. El idioma oficial de trabajo es el Ingles. Se ofrece grato ambiente laboral. Si estás interesado favor postula con nosotros.
You will be the Linux Systems Administrator and Database Specialist for our customer in its main Chilean site located in Vitacura, implementing and supporting the Linux (and other UNIX-based) infrastructure on the site, including users with UNIX-based laptops/desktops, plus remote support to other sites in La Serena, Antofagasta and San Pedro de Atacama. Occasionally, traveling will be required for on-site support.
You will do the following on a daily basis:
- Implement, manage and decommission Linux/Unix systems from your assigned technical services.
- Monitor the health of the systems under your management and perform any necessary corrective actions to keep services up and running.
- Investigate issues and apply patches and/or improvements recommended by vendors/providers to maintain the availability of the platforms.
- Provide prompt solutions to service requests and incidents recorded in the ticketing system, always with a high level of proactivity to stay within our required response times (measured via SLAs and KPIs).
- Improve the documentation of the overall IT infrastructure and serve as a consultation point for our customer and the rest of your team mates.
- Ensure the Operational Continuity of your assigned technical services.
Minimum 5 years of experience with Linux servers and Linux clients, very good command of spoken English, also strong communications and writing skills. Above all, you must have excellent customer service skills and be a great communicator who works effectively as part of a team.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with Linux servers and clients (laptops and desktops).
- Experience working with MySQL, SQL server, and SAP ASE (Sybase) databases.
- Experience implementing and working with GlusterFS.
- Experience working and troubleshooting hardware issues with servers in normal and blade form-factors, plus virtual servers running on VMware ESXi hypervisors.
- SPOKEN ENGLISH IS MANDATORY you must be able to have a conversation in English with our customer.
Required Certifications (or the ability to get them in a period of 3 months):
- Redhat RHCSA
- Oracle OCP 11g/MySQL
- ITIL Foundations
Desirable Certifications and/or knowledge
Any of the below areas are desirable and a BIG plus:
- SAP ASE and SAP Replication Server
- Fujitsu Storage
- VMware VCP
Interest in astronomy/astro-engineering is desirable, you will work supporting the IT systems for the most productive optical observatory in the world, the Very Large Telescope (VLT) in the Paranal Observatory, plus a handful of new and exciting projects such as the Extremely Large Telescope (ELT), soon to be the largest optical telescope in the world.
Job Benefits and Conditions
You will be based in Santiago (Vitacura) with on-site shifts covering Monday – Friday, 08:00 – 19:00 local time. During the COVID-19 pandemic you may be asked to work from home until the situation improves. Facilities in Vitacura provide parking for cars and bikes, cafeteria, comfortable office spaces surrounded by green areas.
Occasionally you will travel to La Silla or to the Paranal Observatory. You will be 8 days on-site (with full meals and lodging provided) and then you will be 6 days off (vacation). On-site shifts cover Monday – Sunday, including public holidays in Chile, 08:00 – 19:00 local time.
Library Access to a library of physical books.
Outdoors The premises have outdoor spaces such as parks or terraces.
Bicycle parking You can park your bicycle for free inside the premises.
Digital library Access to digital books or subscriptions.
Free car parking You can park your car for free at the premises.
Computer provided European Southern Observatory (ESO) provides a computer for your work.
Beverages and snacks European Southern Observatory (ESO) offers beverages and snacks for free consumption.
Remote work policy
Temporarily remote during COVID-19
Position is remote only during COVID-19-related quarantine measures.